DNS-Study Guide doubt(PTS prerequisites)

Hi,

This image is from DNS section.
My doubt is regarding host part.
I am not understanding how www become host.
for example let the url be
www. blog. example. com
TLD will be “.com”
Domain name will be “example”
First Subdomain will be “blog”
Second Subdomain will be “www” right.
Shouldn’t the Host be “www.blog.example.com” ?
Referred this: web services - Parts of a URL: host, port, path - Stack Overflow

Thank you

Hello!

At the configuration level of how DNS works, what is shown in the INE slide is correct.

WWW is the host.

I will try to explain how the translation of the URL www.sub.domain.com works because it might help to understand the process.

First of all to translate the URL you go to the Root DNS servers, which are responsible for redirecting to a second level DNS server according to the TLD (For example if your url ends in .es the resolution will be redirected to a server that contains all .es domains).

After this the server to which we have been redirected will resolve where is the DNS server that can resolve the domain “Domain”, since this is the one that will know the subdomains that hang from it.

In this server we will be able to resolve all the subdomains that are in it. And each subdomain can have its own DNS.

The subject of the Host can be confusing, since there are webs that so much if you put WWW or not they work equal, that is because they put an ALIAS in the DNS of the subdomain so that if you put WWW it translates it to the same direction without the WWW (ex: https://twitter.com = https://www.twitter.com)

As summary the translation of a URL is done from right to left and goes through various DNS servers that have a tree structure, so the host is the last thing that is translated and is always to the left of the URL, but the same host can have several aliases.

In your example “www.blog.example.com” we can first classify WWW as the Host, but you would have to verify that it is not an alias configured in the subdomain that redirects you to the HOST URL.

I understand that if there is a script that asks you for the host it could be that it refers to the complete url, which is the path that takes you to the host and it puts it this way to simplify.

Happy Christmas!