What is keeping you from your first Cybersecurity Job?

Is it education or training? Do you think it is opportunity? Are you unsure? What do you think is keeping you from entering the field?

In my particular case, I feel that what keeps me from landing my first job in cyber is the country that I am currently living in and its traditional hiring requirements such as giving absolute preference to someone who holds a college degree (many times not even related to the field) plus a traditional gatekeeping certificate over someone who demonstrates strong interest, hands on training and a hands on certificate that a traditional HR or/and hiring manager is not familiar with, but apparently unwilling to research.

2 Likes

my biggest problem is i leave in a small town that you’ll need lost of certs and job exp to even get far

1 Like

My biggest issue is clicking the apply button.

3 Likes

Have you considered remote work?

1 Like

Imposter syndrome getting in the way?

It seems that way. I need to just get over it and put myself out there.

Yes I have considered remote work

What is keeping me from getting my first cybersecurity job is complacency. I have a good job in IT. It pays the bills but it isn’t something I look forward to do daily. Granted it has it high points that keeps me where I am at. I think that is my biggest hangup.

1 Like

Hiiiiiiii Frazier!! :slight_smile:

You can build you cyber skills while still keeping your IT job, and then when you are ready for the career change you will have even a nicer advantage, I think, since you do have lots of experience with IT!! I think you will find a job that will pay you much more than your current job!!

2 Likes

I agree on remote work!! If location is the only issue and you know there is work somewhere else in the country you are in that you could apply, then remote would be the best option! Just imagine not having to deal with going to work, no traffic or packed trains/buses and being able to do your job from the comfort of your house!!

1 Like

Part of it is education, but I’m definitely working on that. A big part of it is fear. I am a career changer with bills to pay and mouths to feed, so I have pretty strict miniumum salary requirements which are probably beyond the education and experience that I have. I can’t start at the bottom and work my way up, but I don’t see much other choice either.

I am doing that now. But complacency is a huge one for me. But I have to say finding this community has given me the motivation to keep on going.

1 Like

You will do GREAT!!! Looking forward to hearing the news!! :slight_smile:

Entering the field, 2 issues:

1. The experience being posted by HR. If u keep an experience of 5-7 years then how will freshers get a job ?
  2. Resume selection based on certification and not based on knowledge. Lets take the guy who has cert but what about other guy who has knowledge. That criteria is confusing though

Having financial commitments can certainly make things tougher. Have you considered trying to participate in bug bounty programs to build demonstrable experience (as well as earn some extra cash). If you can build and demonstrate experience in this way perhaps you could jump the entry level role and get something that pays enough at least to keep you going to build further upon?

As @thecyberguy007 said, the job postings for even an Entry Level Job has so many unrealistic requirements. And as a student, I was looking to do a remote summer internship this year but even for those the standard is such that the candidate must already know the job.